Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about enrolling for the first semester
1. What programmes does PH Heidelberg offer?
- Undergraduate programmes
- B.A. in Primary Education (targeted on a teaching degree for students aged 5 to 12 (Grundschule))
- B.A. in Secondary Education (targeted on a teaching degree for students aged 10 to 17 (Sekundarstufe 1))
- B.A. Special Needs Education (targeted on a teaching degree in special needs education)
- B.A. in Early Childhood and Pre-primary Education
- B.A. in Health Promotion
- Postgraduate programmes (entry requirement: undergraduate qualification)
- Diploma (Education Studies)
- Postgraduate programme in Teacher Training for Special Needs Schools
- Additional training courses
- Advanced studies
- Doctoral degrees
- Master of Art or Master of Science
from winter term 2018/2019: additional Master of Education
2. How do I apply and where do I send my application?
- Applications should be sent by 30 November/15 January for the following summer semester or by 31 May/15 July for the following winter semester, addressed to PH Heidelberg, Zulassungsstelle, Postfach 10 42 40, 69032 Heidelberg
3. Which programmes have restrictions on admission?
- All B.A. programmes
4. What are the entry requirements (numerus clausus) for the programmes offered at PH Heidelberg?
- Universities of education in Baden-Württemberg have points-based rather than grades-based numerus clausus systems. The points consist of the final grade of an applicant's school-leaving certificate (or equivalent) and an assessment (selection process) of their practical teaching achievements.
5. Who is responsible for providing student advisory services?
- Our student advisor Ms Anneliese Schmidt is available to answer general questions about studying at the University.
- For questions concerning enrolment regulations, please contact the Admissions Office.
- The University's course advisor is responsible for answering general questions concerning programmes. For subject-related questions, please contact the lecturer specialising in the area concerned.
6. Which subjects require applicants to take an entrance examination?
- Applicants must take an entrance examination when applying for art, music and sports programmes. Please direct any other questions you may have to the administrative office of the subject concerned.
7. Can I study at PH Heidelberg if I have a school-leaving certificate that entitles me to study at a university of applied sciences (Fachhochschulreife)?
- In principle, no. In order to be eligible to register for teacher training courses at universities of education in Baden-Württemberg, applicants must have obtained the Fachhochschulreife and completed an undergraduate qualification at a university of applied sciences.
- There is one exception, however: the Fachhochschulreife alone is sufficient for applicants to the BA programme in Early Childhood and Pre-primary Education.
8. What documents should I submit with my application?
- The signed application form for admission to the first semester.
- An authenticated copy of your university entrance qualification (the required school-leaving certificate or equivalent).
- Where applicable, recently authenticated copies of documents verifying practical teaching experience.
9. Which offices have the authority to authenticate my documents?
- Any public or official office which bears an official seal (bodies such as municipal or district authorities or schools, notaries, courts ...). Each page of the document must contain a statement confirming that it corresponds to the original, plus the signature and the official stamp of the authenticating body/person.
10. What should I take into consideration when combining my subjects?
- Primary education: In addition to educational sciences your first chosen subject must either be german or maths; you can choose your second subject among a wide range of subjects. You also attend a part of studies called "Grundbildung Deutsch oder Mathematik" and module from the cross-cutting field of study ("Übergreifender Studienbereich").
- Secondary education: In addition to educational sciences you choose two subjects among a wide range of subjects. You also attend module from the cross-cutting field of study ("Übergreifender Studienbereich").
- Special Needs Education: In addition to educational sciences you study two special needs specialisations. You also choose one subject among a wide range of subjects. You attend a part of studies called "Grundbildung Deutsch oder Mathematik" and module from the cross-cutting field of study ("Übergreifender Studienbereich") too.
11. How many applications can I submit?
- Each person may only submit one application form. Each application may contain a main application and a maximum of two back-up applications (not for the same course of study).
- If you would like to amend your application or submit extra documentation, simply notify us of the changes in writing. Please do not submit another application.
12. Can I apply for the programmes Education for the Physically Disabled and Education for Children with Behavioural Difficulties?
- In Baden-Württemberg these subjects are only offered at Ludwigsburg University of Education.